Tuesday, January 4, 2011

House of Five Leaves (Sarai-ya Goyou): A Soothing trip to Edo..


This is the first time for me writing about something as soon as I finish from it, so I'm still jammed with emotions and my head isn't clear about it. I know one thing for sure though, what I just watched is a valuable jewel that anyone who has the slightest interest in Japan's history should treasure. No, Sarai-ya Goyou is not a historical show. It admirably deals with humanity. But it also has one of the best representations I've seen of the Samurai and Edo, if not the best at all!



Sarai-ya Goyou storytelling and pace feels natural from start to finish, so you'll end up soaked in the atmosphere the second you set your eyes on the screen. First, You're introduced to a weak-looking desperate Samurai named Masanosuke who is jobless at the time. Then a fearless-looking man named Yaichi offers him a job as personal bodyguard for fun, and events continue to flow from that moment on. Visuals are captivating, I quickly fell in love with the heartwarming color style and I was clearly hypnotized by that <3



Not only the art will suck you in, the music is going to vacuum you, too! I'm a fan of traditional Japanese instruments. Because like any other traditional instruments, you feel their own culture behind their melodies. That sounds perfect for the historical setting Sarai-ya Goyou has, and it indeed is. I hope you're not imagining any generic historic soundtracks by now, because that certainly isn't the kind of thing you'll be hearing here. Yeah, all these old wind, string, and percussion instruments are amazing lonesomely. But that didn't stop the composers from adding some genius twists as well, one of them is the piano playing in some tracks. I won't ruin this ear-candy experience for you any further, try and hear it on your own ;3



I can't believe I didn't get to watch Sarai-ya Goyou while it was airing back then, yet I'm kind of glad that I didn't. I wouldn't be able drink it off in one shot if I did. I wont excuse myself though, I missed it from my top ten list of last year. So I'll bring it up for sure when next time comes in sha Allah =)

No comments:

Post a Comment